Tuesday 17 April 2012

Great time to be an indie!!!

Man I love making games! It's been nearly 5 months since Flump studios created its very first line of code (public Texture2D PlayerTexture; if you must know) and I have thought of little else since, in a good way, a very good way.

Amstrad CPC 464, with CTM644 colour monitorFor as long as I can remember I've had a passion for video games, in fact one of my earliest memories is playing Roland In The Caves on my sisters Amstrad CPC. As the years go by my passion has matured into more than just a love for playing games but a love for the industry. An industry that I truly believe is the most interesting, exciting and creatively diverse currently in existence and I'm just happy to be part of it.
Starting up a game studio (however small) has been one of the most rewarding things I have ever done and it's exciting that the industry has come back to a point where a team as small as ours (2 guys and a gal) could potentially make an impact on the market, we probably wont, we might not even make a single penny but the potential is there and this is what makes the industry great. It's because of this potential that we have such great indie games like Limbo, Dear Esther, super meat boy, Fez etc....

But it's not all good news, although the indie scene is flourishing it feels like the mainstream developers are becoming,well, dickish. DRM, On disc DLC, Online codes and if rumors are to be believed account locking to kill the preowned market (so wrong) none of which screams customer first.

So basically what I'm trying to say is, it's a great time to be an indie. With the indie scene creating so much great content and the mainstream punishing the consumer with anti piracy, anti-preowned measure and greed, more and more consumers will flock to the indie scene. Maybe we do have a chance after all...

By the way we have a game coming out soon!! Check out the trailer for Super Killer Hornet Black Label....



No comments:

Post a Comment